Mike and Justin have a reunion episode. They took questions and interacted with the live Instagram stream.
Mike and I knock the rust off our podcasting while talking about transitioning into strongman training, the American Open for powerlifting and weightlifting, the Arnie strongman competition, Mike’s lessons from strongman training, and Klokov signing with a Grid fitness team.
In this podcast I interview my friend Rob Andrade, a doctor of physical therapy. Rob does a good job of straddling the coaching/training world and the physical therapy world. His bias is obviously on optimal movement and a healthy client, but tapping into his hard science knowledge of things like motor control, muscle physiology, etc. is interesting and helpful to a coach. I’d like to have more interviews and makes ome videos with Rob in the future, so feel free to send questions.
This was easily one of the best podcasts we’ve done. We talked about Scott Mendelson’s pec insane pec tear, sorta criticized strongman training, something Eric Cressey said, and Tony Budding’s new Pro Fitness League, and a whole lot of shit that doesn’t make much sense but made us laugh our asses off.
– Derek Kendall 800 lbs front squat
– Stephanie Renfro deadlifts 405×3
– “The Movement Fix” hip article critique
– shakes at night!
– Lower back strengthener
– Best way to measure body fat
– Considerations when switching from low bar to high bar squat
– Pushing the deadlift on the Texas Method
– Flat vs heeled shoes for good mornings and RDLs
– Assymetrical shoulder — what do I do?
– Squat program for Olympic lifters
– Hypertrophy program good after finishing a linear progression?
– Press programming with the Texas Method
– Training while deployed…on a ship…with no squat racks.
– Deadlifting mechanics for a taller guyyy
After a long break, we’re back at it again. This is largely a Q&A to knock the rust off.
– Powerlifting with Olympic lifting programming
– Upper back training
– Conditioning in 5/3/1
– Stretching vs. soft tissue work
– Shoulder mobility for snatch
– Does grunting increase strength?
– How many carbs? (Paleo for Lifters)
– Dropping a weight class for a meet
– GoRuck training
– Farmer’s walk in conditioning
– Back rehab
– Sprints for conditioning
– Rowing for conditioning
– Assistance exercises for the press
Best show so far!
Intro and Rant
14:00 – Peanut butter sandwiches
18:00 – Melanichev, the man
19:30 – Books you should read
– How to improve “upper back rounding” when squatting
31:00 – Nihilism; it’s exhausting
33:20 – Can you ever show off too much quad?
34:50 – Zombie Apocalypse, would the 70’s Big crew survive? What skills do they have?
40:20 – Outer pec injury rehab
45:40 – Five Guys or In-N-Out?
50:00 – Close grip benching in a linear progression?
52:00 – Kalle Beck loves himself.
53:50 – Elbow pain while low bar squatting…
58:50 – Knee wrap protocol?
61:05 – Mobility for squat sessions
– Paleo for Lifters question; lose fat, keep muscle
Interview with Eva Twardokens.
We discuss her how she approaches coaching, programming, and wellness nowadays compared to her time in CrossFit and professional skiing.
Eva T. is a 2X Olympian in Alpine Skiing ( Albertville and Lillehammer ) and a 12 year veteran of the U.S. Ski Team. She has won 6 National Championships, Won a world Championship Bronze Medal, and is a World Technical Skiing Champion. She also is a Masters Weightlifting Champion. In 2011 she was inducted to the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame!
– Max Aita, Mark Bell, Eric Lilliebridge, Derek Kendall
– Prepping for a first powerlifting meet from linear progression
– Training advice for new dad, limited sleep
– 400 lb guy asks where to begin
– Hey Janelle, what’s wrong with Wolfie?
– Strength standards for tall guys
– Avoiding burnout
– Fixing hyperlordosis
– How to plan training schedule for multiple sports
Post Q&A questions to comments.
11:00 – Strongman
16:35 – Chronic wrist pain
19:00 – Pokemon
20:50 – Blood
22:12 – Knee pain from/when squatting
27:30 – Auxiliary lift to assist snatch/clean and jerk
29:20 – Hip mobility drills
33:00 – ACL reconstruction and squatting
43:25 – Squatting with femoral acetabular impingement
XX:XX – Programming – grappling focus
XX:XX -Programming – oly lifting, grappling/rugby, s&c – lifting focus
53:45 – TM: when to change Intensity Day rotations
Search “70′s Big” on iTunes or listen/download HERE.
Discuss the show and make interview or guest appearance requests in the comments.